Antibiotics are powerful medicines that fight bacterial infections. Taking antibiotics will take its effect and will effectively get rid of such bad bacteria if these were taken properly. Have you heard that when antibiotics taken in a wrong way, will just help a bad bacteria grow and it will lead to a virus? This virus was now called a "Superbug".
Superbugs are the deadly antibiotic-resistant bacteria that might cause fatal illnesses to each patient. How deadly is this bacteria? The most powerful class of antibiotics which is the "Carbapenems" cannot cure this kind of virus. This infection is now spreading across the world (India, Pakistan, United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Japan, China, Taiwan and Korea). Do we need to wait for this kind of infection to invade us here in Philippines?
Dr. Eric Tayag (Head of DOH-National Epidemiology Center) warned us that stopping such infection from entering our country will be very difficult for them due to so many travelers who arrive everyday.
When a bacteria survives in an improper antibiotic treatment, superbugs mutate and evolve. These virus will now have the ability to neutralize antibiotics and I am sorry to tell this but this infection doesn't have any cure for now. The only way to fight this is through prevention by following doctors prescription and changing bad health habits.
ANTIBIOTICS MISUSE: COMMON WORRISOME
- Self-Medication - We do have different types of bodies and it means that taking medications same as what the others are taking just because both of you have the same illness is a big mistake. Only doctors know what kind of medicine should we take. Every medicines or antibiotics differ to each kind of illnesses. They are the only one who can tell how many medicines should we take in order to kill the bacteria inside us.
- Non-Compliance with antibiotic dosage - This is dedicated to all hard-headed people who always violate doctor's prescription. Some of them thinks that when they already feel strong, they will just discontinue taking antibiotics as what their doctors told them. Some of them thinks that it would be better to take antibiotics more than what the doctors prescribed. They do not know that what they're doing will just worsen their health and will develop Superbugs.
- Unsanitary Habits - Cleanliness is always next to Godliness. That saying is very important to us. Clean surroundings, clean body and clean food will help us to prevent from having a bad bacteria.
ANTIBIOTICS COMPLIANCE CAMPAIGN
We all know that some of our medicines was made by different pharmaceutical companies and one of that is UNILAB. They are the one who supplies different kinds of medicines in hospitals, clinics, drug stores and pharmacy's like WATSONS.
Good thing UNILAB and WATSONS implements a joint campaign.
- Providing a staff of competent and knowledgeable pharmacists. Watsons pharmacists give consumers advice on how to use antibiotics properly
- Offering these antibiotics to consumers in Compliance Packs.
Compliance Packs - can be bought in all WATSONS pharmacy for just about 40% to 60% lower than other multinational brands prices. These packs contains materials that will teach us how to use antibiotics properly to avoid Superbugs.
Listen to what your doctor says. Follow every little step that they may prescribed. Live a healthy life with WATSONS and UNILAB.
*Thank you so much WATSON, UNILAB and Sir Chris for giving us a very meaningful information. Will spread this information to let other people know the right use of antibiotics.